Home adaptations and equipment

Words you might come across

Our list below explains some of the words you might see or hear when planning to get small equipment or minor adaptations for your home.

Occupational therapy

Occupational therapy is used when you have difficulty with everyday tasks such as:

  • washing and bathing
  • getting on and off the chair
  • getting in and out of the bed
  • getting on and off the toilet
  • getting in and out of the bath
  • climbing stairs and steps
  • getting in and out of your property
  • preparing food and drink

Occupational therapists can find the activities that cause you difficulty, and help by:

  • teaching you a different way to carry out the activity
  • suggesting changes that will make the activity easier to do
  • providing equipment and adaptations that make activities easier
  • offering support for up to 6¬†weeks
  • referring you to other services
  • giving you information and advice

Equipment and adaptations

Equipment refers to small aids that may help you do everyday things.

Minor adaptation refers to small fixings to your home that may help you do everyday things.

A crystal tap turner is an aid that fits onto a "round" tap head, giving it a handle that makes it easier to turn.

A soil pipe is the pipe that carries waste away from the toilet.

A banister rail is also known as a stair rail.

A newel post is the upright post that supports stair rails at the bottom, middle or top or the stairs.

Getting help

A self-assessment is a way of thinking about the difficulties you may have with everyday things. You can use a self-assessment to ask for a small item of equipment or minor home adaptation without us needing to assess you at home.

A personalised assessment is a more supported way of helping you look at the difficulties you may have with everyday things, and the support that may be available. This can be done over the phone or by visiting you at home.

A voucher is a way of giving you a monetary value towards purchasing your own equipment or minor adaptation.

Filling in forms

Property type refers to who owns the property - is it your property or does it belong to the council or a private landlord?

Ownership details are the contact details - name, address and telephone number - of whoever owns the property if it is not owned by you.

Household details refers to who lives in the property with you.