Home adaptations and equipment

Help with equipment and home adaptations

We may be able to provide equipment or home adaptations if you have needs arising from a physical or mental impairment or illness.

We may not be able to provide services if you:

  • need help for a short period of time while you are recovering from injury or treatment
  • are due to receive treatment that will improve your independence
  • need equipment to manage your condition, like sitting up in bed to help you breathe

You can complete a self-assessment or contact us.

Thurrock First

: 01375 511 000

: thurrock.first@thurrock.gov.uk

Main opening hours are Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.

Limited service on Monday to Friday from 7am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm, and on weekends and bank holidays from 7am to 7pm.

Read more about Thurrock First.


We may be able to loan equipment and provide minor home adaptations without charge. We may provide a contribution towards major home adaptations but this depends on who owns your property

If you are not eligible for services

We can give you information and advice on other support or how you can arrange for your own equipment or home adaptation.

You may choose to consult a private Occupational Therapist, but there may be a fee.

We cannot pay your fees or guarantee to act on the recommendations of a Private Occupational Therapist.

The Royal College of Occupational Therapists can provide a list of Occupational Therapists registered on the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC).