How to claim a benefit

Proof you need to have

When you claim a benefit online you’ll be shown a list of evidence you must have to support your claim. For some claims, evidence can be uploaded online. You can also send paper documents to us by post or send copies by email.

Don't worry if you can't get the proof we need straight away. You should still make your claim and then provide the proof as soon as possible afterwards. If you don't make the claim straight away, you might lose money.

Let us know if you can't get the proof within 2 or 3 weeks, as we may be able to help you.

Uploading evidence

If we're able to accept your proof as part of the online application, an option to 'Upload evidence' section will be shown at the end of the form. You can use this 'Upload evidence' link to send us electronic documents, scanned images of documents, or clear photos of documents.

If you don't have all the proof you need, you should still complete your online application. You can come back and upload your evidence when you have it ready.

To upload evidence after you've submitted your claim, go to the main claims menu below and use the 'Upload My Evidence' link at the bottom of the page.

Claim housing benefit or council tax support

Sending evidence to us

If you are unable to upload your documents, you can either:

  • post them to our Benefits section at the address given below
  • email them to our Benefits email address below

Don't send valuable items in the post, such as bank books or passports.

Benefits section
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


Fast tracking

If you provide all the documents when you make your claim, we will process your benefit claim by the next posting date. This is called 'fast tracking'.