Business rates

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – financial support for businesses and the self-employed

For information on assistance with business rates and government cash grants for businesses, go to our business rates pages  For those who are self-employed, we are providing financial assistance for the self-employed in the form of deferred council tax payments.

The government is providing a range of measures to support businesses through the period of disruption caused by COVID-19. For details, go to GOV.UK: business support and GOV.UK: financial support for businesses during coronavirus (COVID-19).


Business rates are taxes paid by businesses to help pay for local services. They’re charged on most businesses, including:

  • shops
  • offices
  • factories
  • warehouses
  • public houses
  • cinemas
  • holiday homes
  • bed and breakfasts

You’ll have to pay business rates, if you run a business in a building or part of a building.

How much you pay

All businesses have a rateable value. The amount you’ll have to pay is based on a professional judgement of the annual rent of a property on the open market at the fixed valuation date.

All properties are valued from the same date so they’re assessed on a level basis. For example, rating lists that came into effect on 1 April 2017 are all based on a 1 April 2016 valuation date.

Valuation Office Agency

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) gathers as much information as possible on the actual rents paid for properties throughout England. It uses this evidence and other information to determine the levels of rental value appropriate in a particular location for a particular type of property.

Business rate payments

Use the form below to set-up a direct debit for business rates, paying in 10 or 12 monthly instalments.

You can also pay online by credit or debit card.

Pay your business rates

Rating advisers

You don't have to be represented in discussions about your rateable value or rates bill – appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge.

You should take great care before employing a rating adviser to represent you. Check they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance, and if necessary seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues and Rating (IRRV) are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

More information

Go to GOV.UK: Business rates for more information.

General explanatory notes from the government are provided below.

Contact us to discuss your business rates payments.

Non-domestic rates
Finance and Revenue Services, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 960