Birth registration

Register a birth

By law, a birth must be registered within 6 weeks (42 days). Registration has to be in person at the register office.

Thurrock Register Office address
Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX

Opening hours

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Arranging your appointment

To register, make an appointment with the register office of the district where the birth occurred.

Register Office appointments – birth registration

Attending your appointment

You do not have bring your baby with you when you arrive for your appointment – but it is nice to see them!

If the parents were married at the time of the birth, only 1 parent is required to attend.

If the parents were not married to each other at the time of birth, both parents will need to attend so both parents' details can be recorded.

Single mothers attending on their own can still register the birth but the father's details will not be recorded.

There is no charge to register a child's birth. You may wish to purchase a certificate at the time of registration.

By registering, you will obtain a birth certificate, which can then be used to claim child benefit and other family-related benefits.

A registrar will interview you in private, asking for:

  • the place and date of birth of the baby
  • the baby's name, surname and sex
  • the baby's parents' names, surnames and places of birth
  • the baby's parents' occupations
  • the baby's mother's maiden name

Children born outside Thurrock

As well as children born within Thurrock, we also register children born outside of Thurrock – for example, those born at Basildon Hospital, Harold Wood Hospital or any hospital or place in England or Wales. This is known as 'by declaration'

When you attend your appointment, we will record your details along with those of your child, and send them to the registrar of the district where the birth took place.

If you would like purchase a certificate from another district, you should contact their office first for advice on how you can pay.

The child's certificates will be sent to you by post.