Make a building control application

Regularisation application

Building work is considered unauthorised when carried out without building control approval. Where unauthorised works have been are carried out, the building owner may be prosecuted. Consent can still be sought, however, by applying for a regularisation certificate.

Regularisation applies only to works started on or after 11 November 1985.

To meet building regulations, works may need to be:

  • exposed
  • removed
  • rectified

Fees and approvals

You should check our current building control fees and charges.

Once we have registered your application, we will confirm the application fee. You must pay this fee so we can complete the validation of your application.

When all works have been approved, we will issue a certificate of regularisation.

Read our regularisation application guidance for more information.

How to apply

There are 3 different ways to make a regularisation application. We recommend using our online form.

You can complete our online application form, below.

Thurrock Council – building control applications

Alternatively, you can apply online via the national Planning Portal, but in doing so you must pay an extra charge to the Planning Portal service.

You can also download and complete the forms below, to send by email with supporting documents.