A local land 'charge' is a restriction on a piece of land or property that can limit its use or bind whoever owns it to paying a sum of money – for example, a planning condition, a compulsory purchase order or a tree preservation order.
You should request a 'local land charges search' to check for restrictions when you buy a property or a piece of land. You can ask for a search to look at information held in the:
- local land charge register
- register of common land, towns and village greens
A local land charges search is in 2 parts, called 'LLC1' and 'CON29'.
This deals with all the entries in the local land charges register. The Official Certificate of Search is signed by an authorised council officer.
This deals with other issues that can affect the property, such as planning history, road schemes and enforcement notices. There are 2 parts to the CON29:
- CON29 is the standard information about issues that affect the property
- CON29O is for optional extra information – a chance to ask more questions as set out in the form
Requesting a search and copies of documents
Before requesting a search or document copies, you should read:
- our current fees and charges
- how long it takes to complete a search – includes fast-track 'expedited' searches
To request a local land charges search, email our team below.
: 01375 652 053
When a search has been completed, you can use the form below to request copies of any relevant documents found.