Houses in multiple occupation

Licensing for certain HMOs

Not every house in multiple occupation (HMO) needs to be licensed.

A licence is needed for all properties that:

  • are occupied by 5 or more people
  • have 2 or more households

In some areas of Thurrock a licence is needed if the property is occupied by 3 or 4 people living in 2 or more households – go to additional licensing for HMOs.

You can get information on HMO licensing in the UK from:

HMO licensing in Thurrock

The licence is issued to a person or organisation. It is payable per property and can't be transferred. Separate licence applications are needed for each property – go to apply for a licence.

Licences last for 5 years unless there is a change in circumstances during this time. Any changes will need a new application and payment of a new fee.

Go to fees and charges for the latest fee details – licence fees are reviewed regularly.

We can refuse to issue a licence if we don't consider the applicant to be a fit and proper person.

It is an offence to operate a licensable HMO without the proper licence – prosecution may result in an unlimited fine, or we may issue a civil penalty notice up to £30,000.