The Members Advisory Panel reviews allegations send by the monitoring officer
After a review, the panel will conduct a hearing to consider whether the councillor has failed to comply with the code of conduct. This will be done within 30 days of the monitoring officer receiving the independent person's report.
What happens at the panel hearing
The hearing will usually take the following order:
- the investigator will present their report
- you will will present your evidence and call any witnesses
- the councillor will present their evidence and call any witnesses
- there will be the opportunity for all involved to ask questions
- final summaries will be heard
- the panel will make a decision
The panel's decision
You will receive written confirmation of the panel's recommendation and its reasons within 7 days. The councillor and monitoring officer will also be notified in writing. The panel may also chose to announced the decision verbally at the hearing.
The panel will make one of the following recommendations to the monitoring officer:
- the councillor has not failed to comply with the code of conduct and no further action needs to be taken
- the councillor has failed to comply with the code of conduct but that no further action needs to be taken
- the councillor has failed to comply with the code of conduct and a sanction or an informal resolution should be imposed