Finding your birth family

Getting your birth records

Any adopted person over the age of 18 can ask to see their adoption records. You are also entitled to a copy of your original birth certificate.

You need to apply to the Register General for access to birth records from the General Register Office (GRO) and see an adoption adviser.

When contacting the GRO, don't worry if you do not have a copy of your original birth certificate or do not know your birth name. This applies to all adoptions before 30 December 2005.

Anyone adopted on or after 30 December 2005 no longer has the right to apply direct to the GRO for a copy of their original birth certificate. Any application must now be made to an adoption agency.

When you apply to the GRO we advise you put on the form that you wish to have an appointment with an adoption adviser at Thurrock Council, along with our adoption team details.

General Register Office

: 0300 123 1837

What we offer

We offer advice, information and counselling to anyone who is thinking about seeking information or searching for their records. If you would like to speak to a social worker about our services please contact:

Adoption team

: 0800 652 1271 (freephone)


Use this form to start your enquiries:

You can read more about your right to access information on the Adoption Search Reunion website.