Marriages and civil partnerships

Civil partnership registration

Same sex couples can obtain legal recognition of their relationship. Couples who form a civil partnership have the legal status of 'civil partner'.

To form a civil partnership, a couple must first enter notice of their intention to register. Before entering notice each of the couple will need to have a 7-day residential qualification and give notice in the area where they live prior to the formation of their civil partnership.

The couple must be of the same sex, over 18 (or provide evidence of consent if over 16), not related to each other within the prohibited degrees of relationship and not in an existing marriage or civil partnership in order to enter into a civil partnership.

There will be a 28-day waiting period once notice of intention to register has been given, before the formation can take place.

A civil partnership can be formed either in a register office or at an approved licensed venue of choice.

The civil partnership will be formed once the couple have signed in the presence of a registration officer and 2 witnesses.

There is no legal requirement for a ceremony, but in Thurrock we will be delighted to offer a ceremony if you would like one.

There will be procedures in place to reduce the 28-day waiting period (where there are compelling reasons to do so), for a formation to take place at the residence of someone who is housebound, detained or seriously ill and not expected to recover.

Fees apply for giving the notice of intention to register, and for the formation of a civil partnership in the Register Office. Fees for registration at an approved venue are the same as for marriage. There is also a charge for certificates applied for on, or after, the day of the registration.

Contact us for more information.

Thurrock Register Office
Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX



  • 01375 372 822 – birth or death registration
  • 01375 375 245 – marriages or civil partnerships

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for:

  • emergency death registrations for timely burials in line with religious or cultural practices
  • emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.