Home adaptations and equipment

Disabled Facilities Grant

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant if an occupational therapist has checked your needs and made a referral to the adaptations service.

The grant helps pay towards the cost of major adaptations for owner occupiers, private tenants or housing association tenants.

Council tenants will have their assessed adaptation costs considered by us without the need to apply for a grant.

The maximum Disabled Facilities Grant is £30,000.

If the grant is more than £5,000, we may add your property address to the local land charge register. This may last for 10 years depending on the grant amount

Means testing

Most applicants will be means tested unless the work is for a child under 18 years-old.

You won't be means tested if you get:

  • income support
  • income-based employment support assistance
  • income-based job seekers allowance
  • pension credit, guarantee component
  • housing benefit
  • local housing allowance
  • working or child tax credits and earning less than £15,050 a year
  • Universal Credit

Further information

The following video gives general information about Disabled Facilities Grants. It was produced by Foundations, the national body for Disabled Facilities Grant and Home Improvement Agencies in England. For more information and an online self-assessment to check how well your home supports your needs, go to Foundations: Adapt My Home.

You can find out more about these grants at GOV.UK: disabled facilities grants.

More information is provided in our policy document.

To ask about Disabled Facilities Grants, contact us below.

Thurrock First

: 01375 511 000

: thurrock.first@thurrock.gov.uk

Main opening hours are Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.

Limited service on Monday to Friday from 7am to 9am and 5pm to 7pm, and on weekends and bank holidays from 7am to 7pm.

Read more about Thurrock First.