Council tenants

Sign up for Housing News emails

Housing News is an email newsletter to keep tenants and leaseholders up-to-date with important information and news. To sign up, enter your email address for Thurrock Council email updates and select the subscription topic ‘Housing News' or all council updates.

Household contents insurance

As we own the building in which you live, we are responsible for insuring it. We arrange building insurance cover through Royal Sun Alliance.

What our building insurance covers

Our building insurance covers:

  • the building's structure
  • the communal parts of the building
  • any properties that are our responsibility to maintain

Contents insurance

We are not responsible for insuring your possessions.

We recommend you insure the contents of your home so you can afford to replace them if there is an accident or break-in. We have arranged a contents insurance deal with Royal Sun Alliance that tenants can join.

From 1 April 2022, our contents insurance deal with Royal Sun Alliance will be managed by URIS Group.

Due to this change:

  • we will not be able to take insurance payments along with your rent after 31 March 2022

If you had previously made your insurance payment along with your rent, you should have received a letter from URIS Group to explain the changes and tell you:

  • how much their insurance charge will be for the year ahead
  • ways you can pay for your insurance from 1 April 2022, including direct debit and getting a Payment Card for use at Post Offices and PayPoints.

You should respond to any correspondence from URIS Group to guarantee that your cover will continues.

If you wish to change your insurance or have questions about your insurance, you will need to contact URIS Group.

Applying for contents insurance

From 1 April 2022, you can apply for tenants contents insurance using the form below.

Your completed application form must be sent direct to URIS Group, using address shown on the application form. We will no longer process insurance applications. If you send the form to us, we can forward it to URIS Group on your behalf but this may result in a delay.

Making an insurance claim

If you need to make a claim, you should first read your policy booklet carefully, particularly the 'Claims conditions' and 'Policy exclusion' pages. You should check:

  • that the loss or damage is covered – read carefully "what is not covered"
  • any policy exclusions or conditions that may apply

Your policy does not cover:

  • any loss or damage which has been caused by wear and tear
  • repairs and work necessary to maintain the home in a good condition

The amount of you can claim may be reduced if the sum insured on your policy is not enough.

If you wish to make an insurance claim from 1 April 2022, you should contact URIS Group.

Contact URIS Group

URIS Group
RSA, URIS Group, Quay Point, Lakeside Boulevard, Doncaster, DN4 5PL

: 03456 718 172